Saturday, February 20, 2016

Local Revision: Pronoun Usage

This blog will further explore the use of the pronouns I used in my first project.

Q: Based on your analysis, how effective is your pronoun usage in Project 1? What does actively examining your pronoun usage tell you about your writing style?
A: I notice I use pronouns a lot in my writing, specifically when referring to a person. This tells me a few things. I should alternate between referring to someone by their name and using a pronoun instead of referring to them by name once and then using a pronoun every other time I refer to that person. Since I mostly used pronouns when referring to someone, the excess use of these pronouns also tells me I might have too much useless information in my project. By eliminating this excess information, I can reduce the number of pronouns I use and also hopefully better maintain the readers attention.

Q: Are there any instances in your project where you speak to or refer directly to the audience? If so, how effective are these moments at creating a bond or connection between audience and author?
A: I refer to the audience twice in my project. In doing this, I am able to relate to the audience. When I refer to the audience, I am not referring to them with one specific topic in mind. For example, one of the instances in which I refer to the audience (as you) I am encouraging them to watch the TED talk in the hyperlink directly after addressing them. This encouragement prompts the reader to watch the informative TED talk and be able to better understand references later in my writing.
Vernon Barfard School. "If You Were A Pronoun" 04/27/2015 via flickr. Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic

No comments:

Post a Comment