Sunday, February 21, 2016

Local Revision: Passive and Active Voice

This blog will further analyze my verb usage in my first project. It will separate verbs into passive, active(specific), and active(general).

                     Passive                                   Active (Specific)                           Active (General)

happening
is – 14
be – 2
are - 4
have - 4
became
was - 12
has
would
happened
allow
become
cloning
reproducing
de-extinct
revive
born
split
compare
frozen
killing
overshadow
claims
extract
referred
obtained
adapted
killed
caught
preserved
gathered
stripped
injected
implanted
carried
cloned
adapted
intertwined
invaded
issued
signed
attended - 2
acquired
reassured
slaughtered

try - 2
think
bringing
causing
breathe
die
consider
means
limits
speak - 3
understand
looks
dresses
want
present
known
compare
lives
resemble
choosing
receive – 2
further
claims
goes
asks
telling
placed
carried
lived - 3
died - 3
raised
brought - 2
called
received


Q: Looking at the breakdown of your verb choices here, what do you notice about your current draft? Are the actions in your piece mostly general, vague or non-specific? Are the actions mostly vivid and specific? Are there instances of passive voice? Summarize what you learned by analyzing your verb usage in this way.
A: Based off of this breakdown of my verbs, my draft contains a lot of active specific and active general verbs. I am a little surprised at how many active specific verbs I employed. My draft was a very rough cut that I had planned to go back and revise a lot before submission. With this being said, I am quite happy with how much detail I was able to capture in my specific choices. I do use passive voice also in my draft.

Q: Based on this analysis, how could your use of verbs be improved overall in the project? Be specific and precise in explaining this.
A: Although my active verb columns look incredibly longer than my passive verb column, if you look closely I use my passive verbs more often than my active. This tells me I am somewhat repetitive in my writing. By changing around my sentence structure, I can improve the overall quality of my project.
925*18 "verb, what" 05/23/2008 via flickr. Attribution-NonCommercial 2.0 Generic

No comments:

Post a Comment